Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's change the gearing process of this funserver.
"While you @Gnawbone you are right about the fact that we do have free choice of using any gear we want. But the fact is that most people rush towards BiS and stick to that. While there is no journey in between."

Yes but I don't believe you should make entire decisions about a server based on how you would like to see players gear, nor should you make a correlation with rewarding pve gear for pvp achievements: youve not only isolated people who want to gear up quickly, but people who dont like to pvp as well.

As a side note Mow, I don't mean to discourage you- I think you have a very creative mind and I would like to see that applied to more (possibly practical) ideas, because I think you could get a lot done if you employed the energy and calmness you are now.
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
[Image: ks9xXfy.jpg]
@Gnawbone - this idea requires way less ressources than implementing Arenas as suggested in the other thread of completly fixing AV.
Arenas only bring advantages and a content that will make players stay probably 3-4months more than they actually do, wich is huge since a lot of people come every week. I'm saying 3-4months more longer, but its not an optimistic view; considering the complexity of arenas and the passion of vanilla players, they could stay much more time on retro with such a content.

Regarding your idea, there are too many disadvantages than advantages (more diversity of gear, but you force pve players to pvp, you force players that spent time on retro to just start all over again, you force players that donated to just accept that etc...).

I really like what you are trying to do, like a lot of players do; but the ways to obtain the result is important.
  You cant just destroy everything in order to get what you want
Mow can you provide any information or data that backs up what youre saying???

also please define "resources"

i think this is a good example of the issues many suggestion threads have:
you can say anything you want but if you fail to provide legitimate or relevant sources, nothin separates what you are saying with the rest of the bs on the internet.
Look at Prisoms posts to see a good format, just saying things without proof is meaningless and unproductive.
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
It's a no for me.

Great ideas really, but no.
Other people made really good arguments against it, no need for me to add to it.
I think you should focus your energy and creative mind toward addind to the server instead of changing how it works atm.
And keep in mind, this is a fun server so nobody wants to be a try hard to get gear and slaughter noobs in pvp
The process wouldn't be any harder to gear than it is now. It would be "super easy" to obtain gear. You get rapid access to the first ranks that allow you to get hands on MC and other raid gear. No need to rush towards Naxx gear like in the current system.

The "arena pls" thread didn't provide any solid background arguments as well. The only thing that is backing the "arena pls" idea up is the fact that many people are endlessly bored with their super geared toons and think that arena might add some fun to the server. Well it might, but it also might not.

For what I know is, that implementing arenas with all the extra zoning, item controll (no item swaps etc) no class stacking etc, it would require a lot of custom implementations to the server. And all of these are extremly time consuming.

So guys get a better understanding on what my background is. I am working as a full stack developer. I know how time consuming it is to release a piece of software. While the end consumer doesn't see the time invested in it at all. Which is a good sign since its working flawless Smile.

I had a private server myself around 6 years ago - back then the open source version of mangos 1.12. was hell lot more unstable and we (friends and I) were running it on our local network to test around with various stuff. I know how "easy" it is to implement an npc to do certain generic stuff and I also know how intense it can be to change core functionality like gear check for zoned areas (arenas).

I am backing my idea up by the fact, that the developing team / person wouldn't have to learn any new stack or dive deeper into the backend than necessary. They know how to implement custom rewards. So they can as well make requirements of thse custom rewards to access several vendors.

The greater part of the work would be to write down what vendor should carry which items.

Also backing up my idea by the fact that many people are "busy" standing around at the mall with their close to BiS geared toons without anything to do. The gearing process with the idea, provided in this thread would be more exciting in general and not even a bit harder than it is now. I underline the fact, that there is no need to rush towards Naxx (assuming you would want to rush through the ranks as quickly as possible) in order to have fun. You would have fun from the very first ranks because you would fight equaly most of the time. And you would also get rewarded for sticking with one toon.

A neat side-effect would be that the (sorry to say that) not well designed PvP Tokens system that "forces" peopel to farm killing blows could be deleted and graveyard or endless midfarming would occur less often because its much more rewarding to win the game to get the tokens to come closer to the next "tier/raid vendor".

One pre-tbc fun realm to rule them all.
nO thAnkS bUt i HavE a bEttEr iDeA..
hOw aBout wE fIsh foR bettEr gEar?
[Image: YDRJu]
(01-25-2017, 09:10 AM)Mow Wrote: The "arena pls" thread didn't provide any solid background arguments as well. The only thing that is backing the "arena pls" idea up is the fact that many people are endlessly bored with their super geared toons and think that arena might add some fun to the server. Well it might, but it also might not.

mow, we did provide several various arguments with more than just conjecture; i'll even post mine.
also, prisom did post a long and very convincing argument as well, but I won't post that here.
there is also a hell of a lot more support for an idea like arenas.

(01-21-2017, 02:27 PM)Lavz Wrote: i'm no developer, but here's how i see it being done most simply and effectively;
1. create an arena (pretty sure gm bam already did with a few different areas),
2. instance the arena (this is as simple as putting up markers and flags and making a new instance of WSG, essentially)
3. create a battleground objective where killing all members on a team ends the battleground
4. add zone limits to spells and abilities (ie; can't use rocket helm, potion consumables, zoning into the arena causes you to lose all auras and buffs)
5. reward players with a win, and a loss, pretty much 1 mark if you lose, 3 if you win kind of thing.
6. ?????
7. profit

now here's the difference; adding something like arena would effectively make the server money, while your idea would drive people away; if the response to this thread is any indication as to how the general populous would take your idea if implemented. I think it's safe to say that if the staff views this thread, they will more than likely decline your idea.

(01-25-2017, 09:10 AM)Mow Wrote: So guys get a better understanding on what my background is. I am working as a full stack developer. I know how time consuming it is to release a piece of software. While the end consumer doesn't see the time invested in it at all. Which is a good sign since its working flawless Smile.

I had a private server myself around 6 years ago - back then the open source version of mangos 1.12. was hell lot more unstable and we (friends and I) were running it on our local network to test around with various stuff. I know how "easy" it is to implement an npc to do certain generic stuff and I also know how intense it can be to change core functionality like gear check for zoned areas  (arenas).

I am backing my idea up by the fact, that the developing team / person wouldn't have to learn any new stack or dive deeper into the backend than necessary. They know how to implement custom rewards. So they can as well make requirements of thse custom rewards to access several vendors.

mow, with all due respect, running a stock cmangos server is a lot different than running a server that actually generates revenue for the owner
you're suggesting an idea that would effectively take the two years of work that all the players and staff have worked for, and bringing them back to square one. regardless of how easy it would be to implement your idea, when comparing the fallout of the changes it would create, the differences between arena and your idea are evident when reading through the support of either thread. if you know how "easy" it is to add the ideas you're suggesting, and you've run an open source mangos server before, then why don't you do it yourself? it seems like you have all the knowledge necessary and tools at your disposal.

i don't mean to be rude, but you had to drag arenas into it. there is literally no money to be made from adding your concept to the server, and all the players here are telling you this while you're openly in denial about how the players would react to such changes you're suggesting.

i'm done bumping this. i just wanted players to see that i'm willing to defend my suggestions with more than just conjecture.
[Image: izW8PhA.png]
(01-25-2017, 09:41 AM)iz k Wrote: nO thAnkS bUt i HavE a bEttEr iDeA..
hOw aBout wE fIsh foR bettEr gEar?

Best idea tbh

And @Mow if you can indeed program, why not apply for a position to do that within this server?
Thanks for your replies!

@Gnawbone
I am not applying because I am running a (atm) small software agency and also work on my own piece of software. All that is time consuming Smile. Next week I'll finally be done with my bachelors paper and all that at the age of 25. Didn't have much time to focus on studies. I am planning on investing some time on that particular concept which i kindly wrote down in draft state on this forum. I might consider cooperating with retro-staff if they are willing to, I'm open minded. That cooperation wouldn't be my highest priority though. (this also answers @Lavz last question).

I don't mean to be pesimistic, but all arena concepts that i've seen so far were bad and failed hard on 1.12. If the staff actually decides to go for the arena thing I wish them, and the whole community all the best.