Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to do fat mage dps
A. Introduction
Mages are this server's top dps. They can hit upwards of 4500 dps when buffed and lucky, and roughly 2000 dps consistently when buffed. There are two reasons for this:
1. On retro, ignite ticks are based off the crit that started the ignite, rather than the last 5 crits. For example: a r12 fireball crit followed by 4 r1 scorch crits will tick as though 5 r12 fireballs have crit.
2. Additionally, on retro, the t2 mage 3 set bonus gives 100% threat reduction.
This is guide is in progress. I'll add more stuff when I think of it, but for now I think I cover all the basics.

B. Baffs and consumables
Arcane intellect
Mage armor
Blessing of wisdom
Blessing of kings
Gift of the wild
Songflower serenade
Traces of silithyst
Rallying cry of the dragonslayer
Sayge's dark fortune of damage
Flask of supreme power
Brilliant wizard oil
Elixir of greater firepower
Elixir of greater intellect
Scroll of intellect iv
Scroll of spirit iv
Nightfin soup
Major mana potion
Demonic rune
Notes: As far as I know, the macro enabling you to use all mana crystals at once has been patched and no longer works. Juju guile and cerebral cortex compound don't stack with each other nor arcane intellect, so they're useless.

C. Talents and gear
Talents: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0VbZxgGzfcut0h
Gear: http://retro-wow.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3821
Hit cap for level 61 trash is 8%.
Hit cap for level 62 trash is 12%.
Hit cap for bosses is 16%.
Spell resist chance is actually 9%/13%/17%, but your spells will always have a 1% chance to be resisted, no matter how much hit you have.
If you're below the hit cap, each % of hit you gain also contributes to your crit, making hit really valuable. (http://retro-wow.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4288)
Ignite can't resist.
59.5 intellect = 1.00% spell crit
If you want to tryhard, you can get a snek staff (Will of arlokk from Arlokk in zg) and put a +20 spirit enchant on it, then swap to that when you innervate.
If you want to really tryhard, you can drop 4 hit for trash.

D. Opener
1. Precast fireball so that it lands just after your tank pulls the boss. You're wearing t2 anyways and if the fireball crits, you can stack it while you stack your 5 stack scorch.
2. Regardless of whether or not your precast fireball crits, apply a 5 stack scorch.
3. Let the scorch ignite die. Use combustion and trinkets. Start your rotation.

E. Rotation
1. Use max rank fireball until you get a crit.
2. Use scorch, fireblast, and blastwave to keep the fireball's ignite alive for as long as possible.
3. Scorch, fireblast, and blastwave should be downranked for mana conservation if necessary. Ideally, you want to end every fight with zero mana, but never run oom- keeping your ignite alive is much more important than adding a bit of damage by using higher ranks of scorch/blast/wave.
Notes: My preference is to stand right on top of the boss. I cast fireball, then I precast scorch. If the fireball crits, I let my scorch cast and then start stacking the ignite. If the fireball doesn't crit, I cancel my scorch cast and queue up another fireball. If I can't stand right on top of the boss (Heigan, KT, etc), I stand at max fireblast range and simply spam fireball until one crits, then start stacking.

F. Ignite and damage modifiers
Ignite double dips on damage modifiers: damage modifiers are applied on the initial crit that starts the ignite, as well as every ignite tick. For instance, the +5% damage from the silithus buff will actually make your ignites tick 10.25% higher. This is why silithus and dmf are really strong, and also why it's really important to start your ignites on a target with 5 stacks of scorch and curse of elements. Curse of elements is especially important because it knocks off 100% of the basic fire resist that bosses have.
As a general note, damage modifiers stack additively; 5 stack scorch + coe = a 25% damage increase (or a 56.25% damage increase on your ignite ticks!).

F. Teamwork
When working together with another mage, one mage (the starter) should use these talents: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0VbZxgGzfcut0h
and the "1A" (1B vs non undead) set from the list linked above.
The other mage (the stacker) should use these talents: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0EzocahxxG0f0h
and the "1C" set from the list linked above.
If you want a shot at absolute max dps, the starter can use these talents: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0EbocquxxMzbMZ0h
and max +sp gear with the +damage vs undead cloth 3 piece set. You'll want to be dpsing an undead target, and you'll want coe and power infusion, in addition to every buff/consumable listed above + zerker from a bg. You'd have to get lucky to roll a big pyroblast, but if you do, you can reach pretty insane dps numbers.
i wish i could try someday with 2 mages having 2 different spec, it could be dope af.

nice guide man
Cool guide, thanks!
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
[Image: ks9xXfy.jpg]
(03-16-2017, 04:37 PM)sackoo Wrote: Nice guide by a sick mage!

Stop insulting Calder- he put a lot of effort in to his guide and doesn't need your negativity!
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
Did you just assume I assumed your assumption?
Did you just assume I was trying to make semse
Sense***
hello
When the guy who you were fighting withs posts get deleted and it looks like ur talking to ur self