RetroWoW Forum

Full Version: Crash when changing graphic options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys, 

I'm new here and well, the first i tried to do when i logged in was to change the resolution. Unfortunately, as soon as I do that, the game crashes... and well in fact most graphic change do that in the game. I can't even switch to window mode. 

Do you have any idea on how to fix it ? Smile

My config : i5 6600k, GTX 1070, RAM 16 GO

Thank you ! 

Dowfei
You may just want to redownload the game and try again lol

I mean that takes you all of what...15 minutes?
So only changing a setting results in a crash? You could manually edit your .ini files. But if it crashes on any change, there is an underlying problem there. Do you experience any other crashes (or you haven't really played since you can't change settings?).

I have a similar rig to you:
i5-7500, Zotac GTX 1080 (8 GB), 16 GB DDR4 2133 MHz RAM, fully updated Windows 10.

The only crash I experience is when closing the game, I get the generic WOW-Error. Which doesn't matter because I'm closing the game. I can change all settings perfectly fine - no issues.

The game is really old, updating graphic drivers probably won't do a whole lot, but ensure everything is up to date regardless.

Like KFC mentioned, you can try a fresh client - did you get the client from the Retro-WoW site?
I played a bit and it did not crash. It only crashes when I try to change the settings. Do you know which file do I have to edit to change it manually ?

All my drivers are up to date. And yes I did get the client from retro Wow website, do you think I should get from somwhere else ?

Thank you !
I haven't had to edit it manually myself, but the file is: "config.wtf" (found in, <your WoW install>\WTF)

I have all settings maxed, you can make a copy of the original, and then replace the contents with the file with:

SET readTOS "1"
SET readEULA "1"
SET hwDetect "0"
SET gxColorBits "24"
SET gxDepthBits "24"
SET gxResolution "1920x1080"
SET gxRefresh "60"
SET gxMultisampleQuality "0.000000"
SET gxFixLag "0"
SET fullAlpha "1"
SET lodDist "100.000000"
SET SmallCull "0.010000"
SET DistCull "500.000000"
SET trilinear "1"
SET frillDensity "48"
SET farclip "777"
SET specular "1"
SET pixelShaders "1"
SET particleDensity "1.000000"
SET unitDrawDist "300.000000"
SET movie "0"
SET realmList "rw.servegame.com"
SET realmName "RetroWoW"
SET shadowLevel "0"
SET anisotropic "16"
SET DesktopGamma "1"
SET Gamma "0.900000"
SET profanityFilter "0"
SET MusicVolume "0"
SET SoundVolume "1"
SET MasterVolume "0.10000000149012"
SET weatherDensity "3"
SET cameraYawMoveSpeed "180"
SET cameraYawSmoothSpeed "180"
SET cameraDistanceMaxFactor "2"
SET gameTip "13"
SET AmbienceVolume "0"
SET uiScale "0.8299999833107"
SET useUiScale "1"
SET EnableErrorSpeech "0"
SET EnableAmbience "0"
SET autoSelfCast "1"
SET mouseSpeed "1.1000000238419"
SET deselectOnClick "0"
SET scriptMemory "512000"
SET targetNearestDistance "50"
SET minimapInsideZoom "1"
SET minimapZoom "2"
SET M2UsePixelShaders "1"
SET gxTripleBuffer "1"
SET gxWindow "1"
SET gxMaximize "1"
SET cameraView "0"

Give this a shot, note that I play in Windowed Fullscreen mode.

Edit: the file is a plain text file, you can open it with Notepad.
Ok thank you man ! I've already edit it with the notepad, but i'm going to copy & past yours to be sure to get everything right !
Cool beans, hope it works - it should, I set all those settings in-game so one shouldn't be out-of-range or invalid. Regardless let me know if it works.